This might seem kind of crazy, but I often sit down to do my meal plan for the upcoming week, and I am stumped. What?!? I know, I know, you are probably wondering how can that be, since I have a website with a ton of recipes from which to choose. You would think that meal planning would be the last thing that stumps me, right? Ha!
Well, I think it is a similar phenomenon as the one that causes Thing 1 and Thing 2 to meander into our fully stocked kitchen, look through the pantry and fridge, and declare that there is nothing to eat.
Whenever I get that meal planning ‘block’, or whatever you want to call it, I pull up one or two of my go-to dishes, plop them in the meal planner, and somehow that jump-starts my brain so that I can finish the entire meal plan.
This Chicken Potato Bake is one of my go-to dishes. I have served it more times than I can remember, and every time it is a big hit in the family. Everyone just loves it! Potatoes tossed in garlic and olive oil and baked to a golden brown right in the same dish with tender, juicy chicken thighs practically guarantees a successful meal every time! Add a side salad or some steamed veggies and dinner is complete!
- 4 medium potatoes (russet, white, and red are all good choices, no need to peel), cut into approximately ¾ inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 and ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 and ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken (I like to use thighs)
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F/220 degrees C.
- Place the potato cubes in a large bowl, add the garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and toss to coat.
- Spray a large (9x13) baking dish with non stick spray. Spread potato mixture in dish and bake about 15 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven and place the chicken pieces in the dish, nestling them down into the potato mixture a bit. If desired, brush the top of each chicken piece with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked and potatoes are browned.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top, return to the oven and bake for a few more minutes to melt the cheese.
- When serving, sprinkle chopped parsley on top (if desired).