Because I just don’t have enough to do, I decided to make my own granola cereal. 😉
Actually, it was super-easy and didn’t take much time at all. And breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so you want to make it count! Can you say whole grains?!? I used puffed kamut, puffed wheat and rolled oats to get that whole grain goodness going. I added in some sliced almonds and toasted sesame seeds, then coated the whole mixture with a buttery vanilla-maple syrup mixture and baked it until it was nice and crunchy. The end result was a lightly sweet, crunchy, satisfying breakfast that the whole family loved.
You can make so many different varieties by adding different grains and nuts. You can also add in other ingredients after baking, like dried fruit or chocolate chips. Of course, certain additions can really rack up the fat and calorie counts, so you want to be careful what you throw in there so it doesn’t get out of control.
The way I made it, I calculated that 1/2 cup of the cereal was 145 calories and 6.5 grams of fat. I was surprised to learn that the oats actually contributed more than I would have thought to the calories and fat, so if you are interested in controlling the calories, you could substitute additional puffed kamut for the rolled oats. In that case, 1/2 cup serving would contain 125 calories and 5.9 grams of fat. Another option is to eliminate the almonds. I included them because of their nutritional value (good source of protein, among other things!), but you could skip them and substitute additional kamut, which would then bring you down to 98 calories and 2.9 grams of fat per serving! There are so many possibilities, depending on your nutritional goals.
Any way you make this, it is a delicious choice for a weekday breakfast, and great to serve to your kids on school mornings!
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons buttery spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups puffed kamut
- 2 cups puffed wheat
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted (about 15 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees to toast them)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine syrup and buttery spread in a small saucepan and heat on medium until the buttery spread is melted and the mixture is hot. Stir in vanilla and cinnamon.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the puffed wheat, puffed kamut, rolled oats, and almonds.
- Slowly pour the syrup mixture over the cereal mixture, stirring as you go to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the mixture and stir to combine (this helps them to stick to the other pieces of cereal instead of just ending up on the bottom of the bowl.
- Bask for 25-30 minutes, stirring at about the 15 minute mark.
Here is one last visual because I had a difficult time deciding which picture to use for this post! 🙂
If you like this post, you may be interested in this Granola with Mixed Nuts and Coconut from The Foodie Affair!