Welcome to Day #5 of Christmas Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Jen from Juanita’s Cocina! Each day we will be celebrating the holidays with a different set of Christmas-themed treats, as well as a fabulous Christmas giveaway. We hope you enjoy this fabulous event. Tune in each day starting today, Monday, December 9th and ending Saturday, December 14th.
Before we get to the awesome giveaway for today, you do NOT want to miss this AMAZING hot chocolate recipe! I can’t even describe in words how much I love this grown-up version of my favorite childhood winter drink. It is chocolatey, sweet, steamy, and creamy, and it SOOOO hits the spot on a cold winter afternoon. When I bought the coffee liqueur and butterscotch schnapps, I was disappointed at the time that I had to buy pretty big bottles. I thought they should have smaller ones available! But, now I am glad that they did not have the small bottles, because now I have an excuse to make this adult hot chocolate a few more times this holiday season! I plan to bring the ingredients when we go visiting over the holidays, so I can make it for my family and friends as well!
This recipe really is easy to make and doesn’t take long at all. Of course, if you are not feeling up to making your own hot chocolate, you can simply use a mix and spike it, but it really is best if you make it from scratch. Trust me, I used to be a mix girl myself, but after tasting this recipe, I can never go back to that stuff! It really isn’t much more trouble to make it yourself and it uses mostly ingredients that you probably already have! You can even make a big batch of it and serve some to the kids before doctoring up your own portion!
Just a few notes…if you don’t have half and half on hand, just use all milk, it will still be delicious! And you can use granulated sweetener instead of sugar if you prefer. It is easy to increase the recipe if you want to make hot chocolate for a bunch of people, and, if kids are included, just pour their drinks before you add the alcohol. Then, enjoy the head-to-toe warm and cozy feeling you will get from this delicious drink! 🙂
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons sugar (I used granulated sweetener)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1.5 ounces coffee liqueur
- 1.5 ounces butterscotch schnapps
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Butterscotch syrup (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, half and half, cocoa, sugar, salt, and vanilla.
- Heat over medium heat until steaming hot.
- Remove from heat, stir in the coffee liqueur and butterscotch schnapps.
- Pour the hot chocolate into 2 heat safe mugs.
- Top with whipped cream and drizzle with butterscotch syrup, if desired.
Visit all the other Christmas Week Peeps for more Holiday Baking Goodness:
- Christmas Fudge by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter Cup Fudge by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Peppermint Mocha Tart by See Aimee Cook
- Peanut Brittle by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Cranberry Holiday Margaritas by Pineapple and Coconut
- Turtle Bark by The Girl In The little Red Kitchen
- Peppermint Stick Ice Cream Sauce by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Mexican Spiced Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen
- Pomegranate-Ginger Champagne Cocktail by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kletzenbrot – Christmas Fruit Bread from Tyrol by Masala Herb
- Spiked Butterscotch Hot Chocolate by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Frozen Mint Cookie Pie by The Messy Baker
- Stuffed Nut Roll Cookies by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Irish Cream Tiramisu by Cooking In Stilettos
- Lemon Sandwich Cookies by Try Anything Once Culinary
- Orange Creamsicle Fudge by Home Cooking Memories
- Stained Glass Window Cookies by Like Mother Like Daughter
- Eggnog and Cranberry Thumbprints by The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
And now on to the GIVEAWAY for today!
Today’s #ChristmasWeek giveaway comes courtesy of Freund Container & Supply. Freund Container & Supply has been helping build businesses since 1938 as the largest distributor of glass bottles, containers, and wholesale packaging supplies online. Freund offers over 5,000 items in stock every day, 98% same day shipping, and low-price guarantees. Take a look at Freund’s wide selection of jars, tins, bottles and vials for all your crafting and food related needs! Today’s winner will receive one $250 Freund gift certificate, as well as one copy of “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays”. To enter, read the details and use the Rafflecopter below!
***This giveaway is for one $250 gift certificate to Freund Container & Supply, as well as one copy of “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays”. Gift certificate is a one-time use certificate and must be used in its entirety; any leftover monies on the gift certificate will be forfeited. This giveaway is open to both US and Canadian residents. However, it should be noted that due to current International shipping rates, any Canadian winners will pay higher shipping costs for orders. ***
***Disclaimer: This gift certificate is being provided by Freund Container & Supply, while the cookbook has been provided by Juanita’s Cocina. #ChristmasWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway.***
Good luck and enjoy!