There is nothing super-special about the ingredients, but turning them into twirls really boosted the fun factor. They are so cute, and kids love to eat cute food! Oh, who am I kidding…I am the one who likes to eat cute food!!
I used whole wheat pizza dough for the extra shot of fiber, and turkey pepperoni to minimize the fat. I also used reduced-fat shredded mozzarella for the same reason. Of course I had sneak a veggie in there, and even though the spinach was not ‘hidden’, no one minded it at all!
You could use pizza sauce in these if you wanted something closer to pizza, but I skipped it because Thing 2 is not a fan. He really liked these, although requested that next time I make them a little cheesier. We’ll see!
I served these for a Friday night dinner instead of our usual pizza, but they would also be great appetizers at a tailgate party…or any kind of party!
Thing 2 rating = (4 biscuits out of 5!). He docked me a whole biscuit because he thought I was being skimpy with the cheese. But, honestly, they were cheesy enough for us, and I really try to avoid overdoing cheese so when I make these again I will not be increasing the amount of cheese!
- 14 ounces whole wheat pizza dough (I used store bought)
- 1 and ½ cups reduced fat shredded mozzarella
- 40 slices turkey pepperoni
- 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out the pizza dough into a long oval, approximately 24 inches by 12 inches. I used a little bit of flour on my rolling surface, on the roller and on my hands to keep the dough from sticking.
- Sprinkle about half of the shredded cheese over the entire area of dough.
- Place the pepperoni slices in a single layer over the cheese.
- Spread the baby spinach over the pepperoni slices.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the spinach.
- Starting from one of the long edges, carefully roll the dough into itself until you have a long log of dough with the toppings inside.
- With a very sharp knife, cut the dough width-wise into about 1 inch rings.
- Place the rings in a single layer on the baking sheets, then bake for approximately 8 minutes.
- Makes about 24 pieces.
Subscribe today and never miss a new
Dizzy Busy and Hungry recipe!