I don’t know about you, but I LOVE eating food that comes in its own little edible bowl. Fun, fun, fun! Sure, regular tortillas or even tacos shells do the trick for a dish like this, but these cute little bowls are easy to make and they make this meal even more snazzy! (Yes, I am bringing back the word ‘snazzy’! LOL)
You can find the recipe for the bowls HERE. And there is even a quick and fun video tutorial to watch if you appreciate the visual approach!
Now that I have started a new job, I am finding myself busier than ever. It isn’t that this new job has more responsibility (yet), it is just that I have to pay close attention to everything and focus at all times to try to figure out what things are and how things are supposed to work. I have to prepare myself, because at some point I will be assigned to manage a project all by myself, and the more I know, the smoother it will go! So I will need to divert some of my time and energy to my new job for a while, until I get the hang of things. But don’t worry, I plan to continue to post new recipes here as much as I can!
Meals like this are essential when you are in an extra-busy period of time, like when you are starting a new job around the holidays (what WAS I thinking?!?), or during sports season when you have multiple kids in multiple sports, or any time things start to get crazy in your life! I like to make the bowls ahead of time, and then store them in an extra large ziplock bag until the day I make this dish. They will keep for a few days in that bag, just make sure to hide it so your family doesn’t munch on them for snacks!
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) package Recipe Ready Bird's Eye Tri-Color Pepper and Onion Blend (found in the frozen veggie section)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces cooked, diced chicken
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 8 tortilla bowls (click here, or see the link in NOTES for the recipe)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- Add pepper blend, corn, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and saute until veggies are thawed, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add black beans and chicken and cook until entire mixture is heated.
- Mix the cornstarch with about 2 teaspoons of water, then slowly add to mixture while stirring, to thicken the sauce.
- Remove from heat, divide mixture among the 8 tortilla bowls (or use regular tortillas or taco shells).
- Top with shredded cheese and serve!