No kneading required! You have to try this delicious and super-easy way to prepare fresh-baked bread!
What’s better than fresh-baked bread on your dinner table? Nothing! EXCEPT maybe fresh-baked bread that was super-easy to make and required NO KNEADING at all!
I admit it – I don’t have the patience to bake my own bread. All the kneading, and the rising, and the fuss…I just don’t have that kind of time or energy. So when someone told me that it was possible to bake bread without any kneading, and using a slow cooker, I was absolutely interested!
The basic technique is to combine the flour with quick-rising yeast and water, let it rest, form it into a round and let it rest again, then place it in the slow cooker on high. Believe it or not, you can make really good bread that way! And you can add all sorts of mix-ins for interesting combinations. For this loaf, I chose Kalamata olives and Parmesan cheese. So yummy!
I love the texture of bread that this technique yields. It is a little denser than bread made in a more traditional way, but it is not heavy or overly chewy and it is way better than store-bought! Another advantage to this technique is that it leaves your oven free for other things, which is perfect for holiday meals when you have lots of other things that need time in the oven. So give it a try and see what you think!
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and instant yeast.
- Add the garlic, olives, and Parmesan cheese and mix.
- Add water and stir until all of the flour mixture has been incorporated (dough will be very sticky).
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 1 and ½ hours.
- On a large piece of parchment paper, sprinkle flour or cornmeal to prevent sticking. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on the parchment paper, then mold into a round and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to sit for ½ hour.
- Heat the slow cooker to high, then pick up the parchment paper and use it to transfer to the slow cooker. Lower the parchment paper into the slow cooker and tuck or cut to fit under the lid.
- Place paper towels on top of the slow cooker, then place the lid over the towels.
- Cook on high for 2 hours, then remove.
- If more of a brown crust is desired, bake at 400 degrees in the oven for 15-20 minutes (optional).
- Cool on a rack before serving.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. By checking out this featured content, you help us continue to provide recipes perfect for busy families. Thanks for your support!
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!