If you are a busy mom like I am, you know how tough it can be to serve a meal that everyone in the family really enjoys. And it can be extra challenging on weekdays, when the afternoons and evenings are jam-packed with homework and activities! Every once in a while, a meal just comes together and we are all able to sit and enjoy a few minutes eating as a family and catching up with each other. When I can make that happen, I consider it a #MomVictory. With the help of SeaPak shrimp, this dinner was quick and easy,
which made achieving that #MomVictory a whole lot easier!
By midweek, everyone in my house is getting a little worn down, including (maybe even especially!) me. I must confess, I have been tempted on more than one occasion to just plunk down a big box of Cheerios for dinner. After a really long day at work, and knowing I have the tasks of the evening still ahead, I want dinner to be easy to make and something I know everyone will like, and cereal fits the bill! (Note: I have not actually done that. Well…ahem…maybe once. But there was fruit involved too, I swear!)
Even though it is super-easy, I am pretty sure that cereal is not the best meal choice out there, so one of the ways that I avoid the Cheerios dinner is by being prepared with another option! I like to have a backup plan already in mind with something simple and quick that I can just throw together when a more complex undertaking just isn’t going to happen. This dinner with SeaPak Butterfly Shrimp served alongside Cilantro Lime Asparagus and Rice is one of my new favorite backup plans! In 20 minutes, I was able to get this meal together and make everyone happy. While the entree was cooking in the oven, I prepared the flavorful asparagus and rice side dish, which perfectly complemented the golden, crunchy butterfly shrimp. #MomVictory! The entire dinner was a hit!
- ½ to ¾ pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1 to 2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter (or substitute)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (optional)
- ½ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 3 cups cooked rice (your favorite)
- Blanch the asparagus (place in in a large pot of boiling water for approximately 1 to 2 minutes, until the asparagus turns bright green. Then drain and run very cold water over the asparagus to stop it from cooking). Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the lime juice, salt, and lime zest. Stir until combined.
- Add the asparagus and stir until well-coated. Cook until hot, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Combine the cilantro and rice in a large bowl.
- Mix in the asparagus and lime juice mixture.
The folks at SeaPak obviously understand the plight of the modern family in these dizzy busy times. To show their support of busy moms, SeaPak is currently running a promotion called #WinOnWednesday. Head on over to the SeaPak Facebook page on Wednesdays in March and April to check out opportunities to win coupons and other prizes!
In addition, they want to help you achieve a #MomVictory in the kitchen, with a chance to win a “Mom’s Little Helper” gift package, which includes a momAgenda Kitchen Folio to make household organization a breeze, a SeaPak VIP coupon, to help make home life “a little more coastal”, and a bundle of other SeaPak goodies and kitchen knick-knacks! Enter via the rafflecopter form below for your chance to win!(Contest ends on 4/9/2014)
Disclosure: This post sponsored by SeaPak Shrimp and Seafood, however all opinions are my own.