April is National Grilled Cheese month! So it is the perfect excuse for me to publish yet another grilled cheese recipe.
It is no secret that I love grilled cheese. We have it for dinner often, probably 3-4 times a month. I like to play around with the cheese and other filling ingredients to change things up a bit. Interested in seeing what else I have tried? Here are a few examples of some of my other grilled cheesies: Turkey and Brie Grilled Cheese, Zingy Shrimp Grilled Cheese, Cheddar Pumpkin Grilled Cheese, and Parmesan Crusted Grilled Chicken and Cheese.
This one might be my favorite so far. The kids love it, I love it, and it is easy to make, especially now that I have mastered an oven method of ‘grilling’ the sandwiches. I love just popping the sandwiches on a baking sheet and letting the oven do all the work.
I used my homemade Broccoli Pesto in this grilled cheese, although you can use your own favorite pesto recipe or even store-bought. I like the Broccoli Pesto because it is just another way for me to easily get more veggie goodness into my kids!
- ½ cup chopped onion (fresh or frozen)
- 8 ounces of fresh mushrooms, roughly chopped
- buttery spread or butter
- 8 slices of Italian bread (or your favorite)
- ½ cup Broccoli Pesto, or your favorite pesto
- 4 slices mild cheddar cheese
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Spray a medium skillet with olive oil spray, then add the onion and mushrooms and saute until the onions are slightly translucent and the mushrooms are softened. Set aside.
- Butter one side of each of the 8 slices of bread with the butter.
- Place 4 of the slices on a baking sheet, buttered side down.
- Spread a generous tablespoon of pesto on each of these 4 slices of bread, then layer with a slice of mild cheddar, then ¼ of the mushroom mixture, then top with 1 slice of mozzarella.
- On the remaining 4 slices of bread, spread the non-buttered side with a tablespoon of pesto, then place them each on top of the mozzarella, buttered side up.
- Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes, then flip the sandwiches and bake about 6 minutes more, until the sandwiches are golden brown and crispy. (Alternatively, you can grill them on the stove top on a griddle or in a skillet).
Subscribe today and never miss a new
Dizzy Busy and Hungry recipe!