Now that the holidays are over, it is time to hop back on the healthier eating wagon! I have my highest healthy eating motivation in the mornings and at lunch, so I like to try to capitalize on that energy. By dinner, I usually end up falling off the wagon a bit, probably because I am tired and usually need to de-stress a little from the events of the day. So it is important for me to have a good lunch!
I love all the different textures and flavors in this tuna salad. I use light ranch dressing instead of mayonnaise, and it really enhances the flavor while minimizing the calories. The black beans add contrasting color plus protein, and the sunflowers seeds add a satisfying, nutty crunch. I definitely look forward to lunch when I know this is on the menu!
If you are bringing this lunch with you to work, I recommend packing the tuna salad separately from the bread, so that the sandwich doesn’t get soggy. You can put it in a little plastic container, and then just scoop it out onto the bread at lunch time. Don’t forget to bring a spoon! Or, just pack a few whole grain crackers and use them to scoop and eat the tuna salad as if it were a dip.
- 2 (5 ounce) cans chunk light tuna in water
- ½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons ranch dressing (I used a light version)
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve with crackers or as a sandwich filling.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!