A giveaway?!?! Hooray! I decided to do a giveaway to celebrate my birth month, March. Yes, I like to celebrate my birthday for a whole month! Why not, right?!? If I have to notch up that age count by one, I might as well make it fun! Plus, as a breast cancer survivor, every birthday is a big deal. I don’t mind getting older one bit, because for a while I was not sure I would get that opportunity! But, before we get to the giveaway, let’s talk turkey. Er, I mean chicken.
I serve chicken a lot. There are many reasons…it is relatively healthy, it is a good source of protein, it’s affordable, the kids like it, it’s versatile and easy to cook…I could go on and on!
Potatoes are another kid-pleaser. Although they usually prefer them fried to baked, haha! This dish is an exception, however. They eat these potatoes up even though there is not a deep-fryer in sight! The olive oil may have something to do with that, but that’s ok, it helps make this dish a winner!
I have used different types of potatoes, from regular baking potatoes, to the red-skinned potatoes, to the Yukon Gold potatoes. The kids don’t really notice the difference, so usually I just use whatever I have on hand. This time, it was just regular baking potatoes. You should consider NOT peeling the potatoes (just wash them well). Not only is it less work, but the skin provides lots of beneficial nutrition: vitamin C, B vitamins, iron, calcium, potassium and more. Plus, the skin adds fiber. So keep those skins on!
- 3-4 potatoes, diced (if you are using small potatoes, increase number to 6)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 and ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken (thighs work well, but you can use breast to keep it leaner)
- ¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add the garlic and olive oil and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread potato mixture into large (9x13) baking dish sprayed with cooking spray and bake about 15 minutes.
- Place chicken pieces in the dish, wiggling them down into the potato mixture a bit. Brush a little olive oil on each piece and season with some salt and pepper.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked and potatoes are a bit soft.
- Sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the chicken and potatoes, return to the oven and bake for a few more minutes, until the cheese gets melty.
Adapted from a recipe at HowDoesSheDoIt.com.
OK, now on to the giveaway!!
We busy moms deserve some peace and quiet and relaxation once in a while. So I want to help you enjoy some of that ‘me-time’ with $45 worth of gift cards from Bath and Body Works! Choose from all kinds of soothing lotions and creams, fragrant candles, rejuvenating aromatherapy products and more. Enter below! Winner will be chosen on 3/11/2013 via random drawing from all the entries.
Hope your family likes the Chicken and Potato Bake, and GOOD LUCK in the giveaway!