Brrrrrr, this cold weather really makes me crave a steaming hot bowl of hearty, zingy chili! But, I have to be honest, I am not always up for chopping all those veggies. It is a lot of work, and even though there is a big payoff in the form of yummy homemade chili, sometimes I just don’t make it because of the time and effort involved. Call me lazy, or call me just a busy mom trying to fit it all in (in reality it is probably a little of each!), but either way, I am totally on board if there is a way to ‘cheat’ and get awesome homemade chili with minimal effort. One simple ingredient ended up being the solution to all my chili woes, and the best part is that it is nothing fancy…I usually have it on hand in my pantry!
The simple ingredient is…..drumroll please…..chunky salsa! It already contains the chopped veggies, and it totally enhances the flavor of the chili. Brown the ground beef, add some beans and spices, and you are well on your way to an awesome home-cooked meal with minimal effort. Of course, you can also add other vegetables if you like; as with any chili, there are so many ways to customize!
Family report on this dish: DH and Thing 1 loved it, as I would expect. Thing 2 ate it willingly, although he tried to pick out the beans. He really liked the rest of it, though!
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (I use extra lean to minimize fat)
- 1 large onion, chopped (I buy onion already chopped when I want to make it even easier!)
- 32 ounces chunky salsa (your favorite)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded cheddar, sour cream, cilantro for topping
- Brown the ground beef.
- Add the ground beef and remaining ingredients to the crock pot.
- Mix well.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Subscribe today and never miss a new
Dizzy Busy and Hungry recipe!