Moist, flavorful meatballs made from ground chicken and nestled among tender green pepper and onion strips.
This is the first stop on the ShopRite #NYCWFF Virtual Food Tour! All week long, different bloggers will be recreating recipes that will be featured at the New York City Wine and Food Festival Grand Tasting Presented by ShopRite.
Disclosure: I was provided with free products and a ShopRite Gift Card for my involvement in our #NYCWFF Food Blogger Tour, however all opinions expressed are my own.
Believe it or not, I have never made my own meatballs (I know, shocking, right?). So I was really excited when I saw that the recipe chosen for me to recreate involved meatballs!
And I was even more excited when I read through the directions and they really seemed easy – definitely something I could handle. As you know if you have perused through any of my posts before, I am all about easy when it comes to dinner preparation. The only remaining question was whether or not we would like it!
Well, I have to tell you, this recipe is super-tasty. If you are worried about the meatballs being a little bland because they are made from ground chicken, do not give it another thought! This entire dish is very flavorful and a perfect fall or winter comfort dinner.
This dish will be one of the featured dishes at the New York City Wine and Food Festival Grand Tasting, presented by ShopRite, but if you can’t make it to the festival, you can just make it yourself at home. The ingredients are easy to find and the technique is easy to follow. Now, I will admit that my meatballs were not perfect spheres, but in the end they tasted great, so no one cared that the were a little more like parallelograms. (Does that mean I need to change the recipe title to Chicken Cacciatore Meatparallelograms?) 🙂
- 2 medium green peppers
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup dry Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crushed
- 2 tablespoon. olive oil
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 jar (23.5 ounce) Prego Farmers’ Market Roasted Garlic Sauce
- Finely chop about half of one green pepper and half of the onion and set aside. Cut the remaining green peppers into thin strips and the remaining onion in half and thinly slice.
- Thoroughly mix the chicken, egg, bread crumbs, chopped green pepper and onion, salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning in a large bowl. Shape the mixture firmly into 1 inch meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the meatballs and cook until browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the green pepper strips and sliced onion to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the wine and heat to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes. Return the meatballs to the skillet. Add the sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low; cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through, stirring occasionally.
Check out The Brooklyn Cook‘s blog tomorrow for the next recipe on the ShopRite #NYCWFF Virtual Food Tour – Zucchini Walnut Bread. Celebrate the spirit of the festival at home, and find everything you need at your local ShopRite.
Note: This post has been shared at THESE link parties!
Want to keep up with the latest yummy recipes on DBH?
Sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox (only 1 email per week)!