I am a huge fan of apple butter, so I was really excited when Musselman’s told me about some of their great game day recipes and offered a fantastic GIVEAWAY prize for my readers! I eagerly anticipated receiving my jar of apple butter and the Grillware Pizza Tray to try out. Stayed tuned because you can win your own Grillware Pizza Tray by entering the giveaway at the end of this post!
Once they arrived, of course I wanted to take the pizza tray out for a spin right away, so I decided to make the Caramelized Onion Bacon Pizza, pronto. In addition to my excitement about the tray, I was intrigued by the mix of flavors in the pizza recipe, and I couldn’t wait to see how well the pizza tray cooked the pizza. Well, I could not have been happier with the results! The pizza tray cooked my pizza nice and evenly, and after it came out of the oven, the tray kept it hot a lot longer than my regular pizza tray. And this grill tray can be used on the stovetop or outdoor grill as well! I can’t wait to try it out in the warmer weather with fish or asparagus or other things that normally would be hard to grill because they slip through the grate.
As for the pizza, the entire family raved over the mix of flavors and how well they complemented each other. I would never have thought to use apple butter as a pizza sauce, but it worked so well with the caramelized onions and Gouda cheese and bacon.
My favorite part, though, was the red pepper flakes sprinkled over the apple butter. They added just a little kick which made the entire combination even more interesting and delicious. If you want to impress your Super Bowl party guests, serve this pizza!
Check out this video for even more amazing apple butter recipe ideas!
Or you can download the Musselman’s Apple Butter e-recipe book HERE.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thin
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 14 ounces pizza dough (enough for 15-16 inch pizza)
- 1 cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 6 slices cooked bacon, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 2 cups fresh baby arugula to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter and combine with olive oil.
- Add onions and toss to coat. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, stir and add salt, then cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, mix in the balsamic vinegar, return to heat and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Roll out pizza dough if needed and place on pizza tray. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Spread apple butter over dough, the sprinkle red pepper flakes on top.
- Distribute the onions, then sprinkle the chopped bacon and pecans.
- Top with the Gouda cheese, place in the oven and bake for another 8-10 minutes, until pizza is done and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes, and top with baby arugula.
Recipe slightly adapted from Musselmans.com.
Here is the best part – we are giving away a Musselman’s Apple Butter gift package, including a jar of Musselman’s Apple Butter, a recipe card, and that amazing Grillware Pizza Tray that is my new favorite way to cook my pizza! Enter via the Rafflecopter form below!
For disclosure purposes, a sample of Musselman’s Apple Butter and a Grillware Pizza Tray were provided to me free of charge to use in the recipe. I am not being compensated to write about the product, and all opinions are my own.
Enjoy and good luck!
Emails by Mad Mimi
Subscribe today and never miss a new
Dizzy Busy and Hungry recipe!